Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Animation in PS Tutorial #4 - Revolving Text Animation

Go down

Animation in PS Tutorial #4 - Revolving Text Animation Empty Animation in PS Tutorial #4 - Revolving Text Animation

Post by DustyBones Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:41 pm

Photoshop Animation Tutorial #4
Revolving Text

I was asked to do a Tutorial on moving text like what's in my signature
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
(This forum doesn't exist anymore so don't bother searching for it)

I'll create a signature to illustrate the technique.
I start out by creating a new file 320x24 pixels. I add my texture for the background.
Make sure you name each layer. There will be quite a few layers and it will get real confusing if they're not named.

Now I add my Nick

Now you have to make the back side of the text for when it revolves. Just duplicate the layer (right click the layer and select "Duplicate Layer"). Add "reverse" to the end of the name.
Now to flip the text. Go to Edit/Transform/Flip Horizontal. It should look like this:
You should also make the reverse text a shade of gray so it looks like it's in back of the regular text. (I forgot to do it for this tutorial Embarassed )

Now for the part that makes the text look like it flips back on itself. You have to make a section on each end for the text to go behind. Using the square marquee [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.], select a section on each end away from the text. Copy/paste and name the selections.

The end sections have to be on top of the layer stack so the text will go behind them. The layer pallet should look like this now:

Select the Move Tool [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] and move the main text to the left just before it goes behind the left section. You can use the arrow keys to do this. Also move the reversed text all the way to the right until it's completely hidden by the right section.

Now to start making the animation.
Open a new frame, make sure main text layer is selected and move text 8 clicks to the right.

Open a new frame and move main text another 8 clicks to the right. Keep opening a new frame and moving main text 8 clicks to the right in each new frame. Keep a close eye on the text. When it starts to move under the right section you have to move the reversed text to the left the same amount of clicks. For instance, If you move the main text and it starts to go under the right section after 5 clicks, it goes 3 more clicks under the right section. Move the reversed text that 3 clicks to the left.
You must also make sure that the reversed text is behind the main text.
Example of text going and coming out from behind right section. One text shown in each picture for clarity.

Here's a look at what it looks like when reversed text is coming out from behind the main text.

Keep opening new frames and moving 8 clicks at a time until the reversed text starts going behind the left section. Then you'll have to move the main text to the left behind the left section and start moving it out at the same rate the reversed text goes in behind the section.

Keep going until the main text is in the same position where it started.
Click Run [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] to check out your work.

You'll want it to pause at the start for a second or two like this:

Go to File/Save for Web and Devices/click Save

You can play with the speed (number of clicks you move it per frame and speed per frame). The more clicks per frame, the jerkier it will be. It will also be more jerky if you add more time per frame. Less clicks per frame will add more frames making it smoother but will make a larger file size.

Notice:
This tutorial is copyrighted to DustyBones.
You may not publish it anywhere without written
permission from the creator.
DustyBones
DustyBones

http://raps-graphics.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down